Praia, Feb 16 (Inforpress) – The heirs of the dead victims of the shipwreck of “Vicente” ship, which occurred off the island of Fogo in January 2015, were granted a survivor’s pension.
The decision and the nominal list of the heirs entitled to receive the pension were published in the Official Gazette of Tuesday, February 13, and complies with Decree-Law No. 05/2017 of February 14, which established it “exceptionally”.
In a press release to which Inforpress had access, the Government of the 9th Legislature considers itself to be “cleared of any criminal responsibility” in the process, but understands that its role as a promoter of collective well-being is not exhausted and could not be exhausted in the criminal field.
“It was an event marked by a great commotion and general sadness of the entire Cabo Verdean people,” the government statement said, to justify the measure taken, also given the economic vulnerability of these families, reason why “the Government has made every effort with the firm intention of assuring them decent living conditions”.
So that the decision to grant a survivor’s pension to these beneficiaries could be taken, the statement said, the Government decided last year in the Council of Ministers to “change the legislation that had been in force until then.”
HF / FP / HVF